Blog / Article
Possible Reasons Dogs Roll In Smelly Things
There isn’t a known reason why dogs like to roll around in stinky grass, any area where it has been pooped on or residue of some other awful disgusting thing like dead fish.
I do not believe dogs do this for any reason other than it’s part of their DNA. Obviously something that goes back to their ancestry.
It is said possible reasons dogs roll around in anything smelly or dead is to
- Mask their smell so when they are approaching the next meal, they would not scare away their next meal
- Marking their territory
- Or did you just wash your dog and they want to get rid of that lavender coconutty smell you just washed them in or they want to get the wetness off of them
- Or they just like the smell.
How to stop the madness
- Bring treats or their favorite toy
- Distract them with their favorite treat or toy as soon as you recognize their attempt to dropping to the ground and rolling around on the grass
- Pay attention!
- Teaching your pup to “Leave it”
DID YOU FIND THIS HELPFUL? SHARE WITH YOUR CURIOUS PET FRIENDS.